Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Monday, November 8, 2010

SUCKERS

As a child growing up in the 1950's suckers were a normal treat. You got them at the doctor's office, the bank, and many other places. We rarely had chocolate candy. I don't think they had invented the mini-candy bars yet. If you got a candy bar, it was BIG! We had a lot more hard candy. Suckers have always been a staple for Halloween candy. They were cheap, not as messy as chocolate and kids liked them.
About twenty years ago, Handyman's dad was making wood crafts. For Thanksgiving one year, he made wooden turkeys. They have holes drilled in them where you are supposed to insert suckers. The suckers are there for their tail feathers. Several years ago we started having a little trouble finding the suckers at Thanksgiving, but if you went ahead and bought them when the Halloween candy was out, you were all set. Several years we forgot to buy them at Halloween so the turkey stayed in the attic. I was on top of it this year. I put suckers on my shopping list so I could get them while the Halloween candy was on the shelves. I looked at Walmart, Kmart, called the candy store in the mall, but no one had plain suckers. They had fancy lollipops, lots of Tootsie Roll Pops, Dum Dums, chocolate covered suckers, but no plain suckers. I did find some on Amazon, com and at Oriental trading, but with an $8.95 price tag plus $6.95 shipping I decided to pass on them.
I finally thought about the Dollar General Market and stopped on my way home tonight. They still had their Halloween candy out, but the only suckers I found were orange with white pumpkins imprinted on one side. I had about decided that they would have to do when I found a candy display section that had, no not the plain suckers I was really looking for, but suckers that would do.
There was an extra sucker in the package without a stick, so I decided that I would eat it --- YUK! They are the worst tasting suckers that I have ever had. Oh, well. They'll still look good on the turkey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment