Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Monday, February 7, 2011

MORE THANKFULNESS

When I went to the dentist a few weeks ago, they told me that my blood pressure was very high. I called my doctor's office and they laughed and said they got calls all the time from people whose dentists had given them the same warning. I knew that my blood pressure had been running on the high side for a while so I decided to go on in and get it checked. Well, it was still high, so he put me on a low dosage ACE Inhibitor. While I was there he told me that I need to have some blood work done since I had never had my cholesterol checked, but I had to have been fasting for at least 6 hours. He went ahead and wrote the order and told me to come back in just for that or I could have it done when I came in for my checkup in a month. I decided that I would wait the full month since I wasn't looking forward to it. As it turned out I had a reaction to the ACE Inhibitor and had to go back just two weeks later. Since I was going in anyway, I didn't eat lunch that day so I could get the blood work done. I was also dreading being in the office because I had heard that flu cases were running rampant here. As it turned out, on Thursdays, several of the other doctors in the practice are off. So when I got there only 4 other people were in the waiting room and when I went to the lab, there was no one else waiting. It was nice to get right in and not have to sit there and dread getting it done. I got my prescription for a new blood pressure drug -- a calcium channel blocker this time. I had to wait for the other drug to get out of my system so I didn't start taking it until today. Hopefully it'll be fine.
My blood tests were to be available today, so I called to get my results. I have dodged that test for a lot of years because I just knew it would be bad. Both the doctor and myself were pleasantly surprised at the results.


CBC & Blood Sugar were both fine
Cholesterol was 158 (Normal is less than 200)
Triglycerides were 30 (Normal is less than 50)
HDL (good cholesterol) was 71 (Average 50-60 with more being better)
LDL was 81 (Normal is less than 100)

WHEW ---- what a relief. I just knew it was not going to be good. VERY thankful for these results!!
Now if can just get my blood pressure down, I'll be good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment