Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Life Is Good!

This week has been the beginning of the second month as a retiree.  I must admit that I'm not working too hard these days.  January was a bit hectic trying to close out the 2012 financial year at church.  I found myself working at least 3 days a week there.  After getting those pesky W2s and 1099's out in the mail things returned to less hours needed at church.  I've only gone in to work one day this week.  I do check my mailbox whenever I'm at church for other things, but so far, nothing pressing has shown up in my mailbox this week. 
On Wednesday morning I got an early start by heading to Kroger before 8:00 to get my 10% off on Senior Day.  It wasn't too bad that early.  I ended up saving $18.00 by shopping on that special day.  It's not a huge amount, but as long as I can beat the big crowds by going early it's worth it.  After my grocery shopping I went the United Methodist Women's group at church.  They had a nice program on finances.  Lunch was provided after the meeting.  They had a nice fruit salad, chicken casserole, crescent rolls and a decadent dessert.  (It was similar to Hello Dolly Cookies, but they had used white chips, craisins and I'm not sure what else). 
I've also done more quilting this week. I have 6 of the 12 squares in my quilt top finished.  It's quite an accomplishment to get those 6 done in about 4 weeks, when it's been sitting for for well over 10 years with nothing being done on it.  Hopefully I'll get it finished before summer. 
Today was an absolutely beautiful day.  I spent a little time quilting this morning, then went over to the elementary school and had lunch with my little friend there.  Then I went out and worked in the back yard cutting back some of the dead foliage from last summer and bagging it up for the trash.  After a bit of time on the computer and reading I cooked country fried steak and gravy, mashed potatoes, and green beans for supper.   I cheated and pulled some biscuits out of the freezer.  I knew they wouldn't be as good as fresh, but since we had frozen them I thought we should go ahead and eat them.  One of my goals now that I'm retired is to actually use all of the food that we put in our freezer!  We try hard not to waste food that we've cooked and eat left overs quite often.  But we have been lacking in keeping track of what is in the freezer and letting some of that food go to waste.
Tomorrow I have a dentist appointment at 8 am. Actually, it's not a dentist appointment as I'm going to the hygientist for a cleaning.  I'm not sure what possessed me to make that appointment so early.  I may need to rethink that time when I schedule my next appointment.
All in all, this has been a great week.  But I do feel a little guilty every now and then when I'm not being very productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment