Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Thursday, October 29, 2009

AMAZING AMAZON KINDLE


A while back when I got on Amazon.Com, their home page was advertising the Amazon Kindle, an electronic reader that they had for sale. I thought it was really neat, but it had a hefty price tag of $299. WHOA --- Everytime I got on Amazon, which is fairly frequently, I would see it and wish for one. About a month ago the price dropped by $20, then about 2 weeks ago, it dropped another $20. It's still a ridiculous price, but I REALLY wanted one. I know that it's still expensive, but I usually buy newly released hardback books. By the time I pay shipping on them they're usually $20-$25. On Kindle, most of the downloads run $9.99 and a lot are cheaper than that. You can even get some classics free. So I justified buying one in that after buying 15 or so books, the remainder of my books will be cheaper. I also won't be killing trees to provide me books so it's green!! Isn't that a shame that to be green you have to spend more money?
I ordered my Amazon Kindle about a week ago and had been anxiously awaiting its arrival. I kept checking the tracking with the USPS and it showed when it shipped and then it arrived ---where??? --- it didn't say, then it arrived again ----where?? it didn't say. It was delivered here yesterday while I was at work. I got it unpacked and then #2 daughter came by for a few minutes before going to Nashville to a play, then we had supper, then I had to go to choir practice. I didn't get home until a quarter til nine, so I didn't have much time with it last night.
The first book I download was "The Holy Bible", New Living Version. Since I try to read this every day I thought it should come first. Then there was a free book on "Affirming the Apostles' Creed" and I thought it would be of interest. Next came a book by Debbie Macomber to read for pleasure --- first I downloaded a 2 chapter free sample to make sure it was interesting. After reading the sample I decided that, yes, I wanted to read the remainder of the book so I ordered it for a little over $5.00. You just find it in the Kindle Store on the Kindle or Amazon.com and it's set up to charge my credit card after I push the button and "voila" 3o seconds later I have the book on my Kindle!! I've also downloaded "Little Women," "The Velveteen Rabbit," and another sample of a book (all of which were free).
If you've never looked at a Kindle before, they are wonderful. You can change the font to make it comfortable for you to read, you can let it read outloud to you by either a man or woman. It has a built in dictionary so you can immediately find out the definition of any word that you aren't familiar with. You can load MP3 files in it to listen to while you read (I haven't tried this out yet) and if you have non-copyrighted material on your computer that you want on the Kindle, you can email it to them and they'll put it in the correct format and send it back to your Kindle.
I need to get off of here and back to my reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment