Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I SWEAR


House Bill 36 in the Kentucky state legislature proposes removing the anti-dueling language from oaths of office taken by Kentucky state officials. Currently state officials must vow that they have never taken part in a duel with deadly weapons. This is a holdover from frontier days. It was noted that often times during the solemn swearing-in ceremonies, there would be snickers and laughter when the dueling was mentioned. There is also concern that it could fuel negative stereo types about our Commonwealth. I agree that it isn't needed today, but it does remind us of our history and I'm not sure that I'm completely for removing it from the oath of office. We seem to forget what our forefathers endured for us to have what we do today.

No comments:

Post a Comment