Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Monday, December 6, 2010

A HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS

I've been trying to come up with some different ideas for Christmas presents for the grandkids besides just buying toys or clothes. When I was growing up, at some point, I really don't remember how old I was at the time, I received a bath towel with my name printed on it. I thought it was really neat at the time. I've looked at some of these towels recently and when I saw that they were running $20 - $25 each, I decided that there was no way I was spending $60 for three towels for the grandchildren. I'm sorry, I love them, but, no! Too much -- way too much.
So....I went to Walmart and bought some material - Sponge Bob for Nate and Tinkerbell for Kate & Gabby

and some towels.

Then I proceeded to trace the letters of their names (using some stencils I already had) onto the fabric and cut them out. Oh, yes, before I cut them out I got some old "Stichery Witchery" or "Wonder Under" and pressed it onto the back side of the fabric. This was supposed to stick the letters onto the towels plus keep the raveling down. I don't know if it was because it was old and had been in the attic or whether it was because of the texture of the towels, but they didn't stick. I ended up having to hand baste the letters on the towels, then took them to the sewing machine and zig-zagged them on so that, hopefully, they won't ravel (much).

I hope the girls like theirs. I don't think Nate will care at this point, but that's okay. At least when he gets older, I will have kept a picture around so he knows he wasn't left out!! BTW - Kate's favorite color is purple and Gabby's is pink. Nate doesn't have a favorite color! And if you're wondering, "Why Katie and not just Kate?" When Kate started printing her name, she like the "i" in the spelling, just not in the pronunciation. So I write it as Katie, but say it as Kate!!

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, Kate's silent 'i'. :) They look really good. My stitch whitchery is only one sided. I did see some at Hobby Lobby that was double sided the last time I was there though.

    ReplyDelete