Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Monday, December 13, 2010

JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON

I love Christmas! Of course, as a child I loved the "getting" of Christmas. As I grew up, I loved the "giving" of Christmas. Today I try to remember more about the reason for Christmas. I like decorating our home for Christmas, but I like to keep more to theme of Christ, than Santa Claus. We have decorated a little more this year with colored lights, bright colored ornaments and Santa Claus because of the grandchildren.

Below are pictures of the Nativity that we have around our house.
I love this ornament, it has so much detail.

I purchased this clear ornament back in 1978 for our daughter, Kristy, to give to her grandmother on Kristy's 1st Christmas. It was on my mother's Christmas tree(s) for nearly 30 years. I should probably pass this ornament down to my daughter.


This white nativity has graced our house for a long time. I don't remember the year I purchased it on clearance after Christmas from CoachHouse Gifts in the mall. Only after closer examination, I discovered that I had received 4 Wisemen and no Joseph. The Wiseman that I use for Joseph is smaller than the other Wisemen (no doubt from another set) and closer in size to Mary. Fortunately most people don't look too closely at it and no one is the wiser, except for me. (and you). Lots of years ago, Handyman took some slab wood that we had bought to burn in the woodstove we had at the time and made the stable for us. It gave it more of an old, weathered look. Then in 1996 our foreign exchange student, Sie, made the gold star for us. I love taking this out of the box every year and remembering the time that she was with us.

Last year, Handyman and I were looking for some Christmas decorations to put in our plant nooks. They're about 10' off the floor, so you don't see much detail in whatever is up there. We found these at Pier 1. I liked the simplicity of Joseph, Mary & Jesus. They're made of metal and very unusual. This year they had the Wisemen made out of the same material. I meant to go back and check their size to see if they would go with the Holy Family, but I've never made it back and by now they've probably sold out.


Luke 2

The Birth of Jesus

1 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2 (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 And everyone went to his own town to register. 4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 6 While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

May you have a very blessed Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment