Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Charlie, Day 2

Taking care of a puppy is much like caring for a new baby.  They take up ALL of your time.  Lol. And watching them sleep makes you want to sleep also!  On Saturdays Randy always cooks breakfast and I usually sleep in a few extra minutes.  Today we got up together.  He hit the shower and I tended to the puppy.  I’ve decided not to try to take him out to potty just yet.  He’s doing pretty good with his pee pad so we will just go with that for now.  I got his breakfast fed while Randy was cooking.  Our new rule for this puppy is that he stays in his pen while we are eating and no food is ever going to be given to him off of the table.  He cried..... I’m sure he will eventually learn this rule.  And I’m learning it myself.  It’s not always easy,  bu I want thIs to be how we handle people food.
He doesn’t seem to care for his dry dog food yet and the breeder told me the puppies liked puppy mousse so Charlie and I took off for Pet Smart this morning and bought him some different food.  I’ll let him have it a few days and then try to mix some kibble in with it.  He’s had a lot of changes already so if I can keep his food the same I will.  He did pretty good in his carrier in the car.  Cried a little but did settle down.  
He finally decided he wanted to sleep in my lap but I really didn’t think that was a good idea since I’ve got to go to work on Monday.  So.....I got in his pen and patted on him until he went to sleep....then Randy came home from Habitat and woke him up!  Oh well, it’s a start to helping him be independent.
A couple of times he’s been shaking and to calm him down I play a video that the breeder posted of Charlie and his brothers and sisters.  It seems to help.
He’s finishing up that nap he started earlier.  We’re upstairs and he’s in his canvas crate right beside me.
Just got a text that my new kitchen scale was just delivered.  Mine only went to 16 oz. and the breeder wanted me to watch his weight for a while.  He was 32 oz on Thursday.  I hope he’s eating enough to sustain his weight. From what I’ve read he should be slowing down on gaining weight at this point and the average for his adult weight would be 3 times his 8 week weight.  So maybe 6 pounds.  But that doesn’t always hold true.
According to my new scale Charlie isn’t quite 2 lbs.  Probably just not that accurate.  I’m not going to worry about it right now.  He seemed to eat pretty good today.
During supper Charlie laid down in his pen and was quiet while we ate....yea,  Charlie!  You are learning.
After supper he had a nap then played pretty hard.  He’s back asleep now next to me upstairs.
Hopefully tonight will go a little better than last night.
Love ya, Charlie!

No comments:

Post a Comment