Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Saturday, April 4, 2009

WHAT'S MY NAME?


When Kristy found out that she was expecting our first grandhild in 2005 we were trying to figure out what we wanted our grandchildren to call us. Kristy didn't want grandma or grandpa because she thought it was just too confusing. I had two grandmas, she had a grandma, Justin had a grandma. She thought it would just be easier if we came up with something different. After much back and forth, looking up names on the internet, I was to be Grams and Randy was to be Paw Paw. Justin's parent's got Pop & Nan.

When Katie began talking Paw Paw came out rather quickly. I was jealous because she should have said my name first. I was, after all, her proudest grandparent. ;-) Month after month I hoped to hear "Grams" come from her lips --- but alas, it never did. Finally Kristy started calling me "Gam" since we figured the "gr" sound was too difficult for her. It didn't take long until I had my name. I love it because it's different and because she loves me.

While we were in Kansas last month, Katie and I were having a conversation and she said, "You're my grandma, right?" Yes, Kate. "I'm gonna start you calling you grandma." I was wondering what Kristy would think of this, but I said sure. Then I asked her about Nan, since she's her grandma too. "I'll call her grandma, too," said Kate. Oh dear, just what her mama didn't want. Oh, well. I always said that I didn't care what she called me, just as long as she called me. A few minutes later, she yelled at me --- "GAM." Guess I won't be Grandma for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment