Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Thursday, May 28, 2009

FAMILY HEIRLOOMS

John & Clarinda Mosier 50th Anniversary Spoon

I have several heirlooms around my home that were given to me by my grandparents and/or parents. I think it's interesting to match the heirlooms with the owner(s). My grandmother gave me this spoon that belonged to her grandparents. It is engraved on the back with the date '48 - '98. Today when I see those dates, I think 1948-1998, but no, those dates were 1848-1898. The spoon has the letter "M" engraved on the handle. It belonged to my great-great grandparents, John & Clarinda Mosier. John was born March 12, 1824 in Adams Co., OH. He married Clarinda D. Mahaffey, who was born June 30, 1829 in Highland Co, OH, on October 26, 1848 in Adams Co. The spoon commemorates their 50th wedding anniversary. They were the parents of John Riley Mosier, who was the father of my paternal grandmother, Ethel Faye Mosier Jackson. John was a veteran of the Civil War. He served with the Ohio National Guard. What I find really amazing is that these people are my grandchildren's great, great, great, great grandparents and we still have such a tie to them with pictures and things.

No comments:

Post a Comment