Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Sunday, May 10, 2009

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY


Today I have been fortunate to celebrate Mother's Day with one of my daughters, my mother-in-law, husband, and my sister-in-law and her husband. I have missed having my other daughter with me, but know that she is celebrating the day with her children and husband. But my mother has been on my mind a lot today. Of course I thought about her early this morning, but then at church they gave carnations to all the women - red if their mother was living and white if they had passed on. It was really kind of sad to say "white" when the youth asked which one. It says my mother is no longer with me. As I looked around at the flowers the other women had I felt sad for all of us who had lost our mothers. My mother had become my best friend over the years. She was the one person who had always been there for me my entire life. She shared with me all my greatest joys, my saddest moments and all my fears. She encouraged me and helped me however she could. After the death of my father she came to need me in a different way - to help with the physical things she could no longer do and to be her confidant and companion. At times that was a hard relationship for me. To have a parent to become so dependent on you is not easy. I always tried to be the daughter she wanted. I sometimes failed. But in the end I know that she knew how much I loved her. Mother, I miss you--but I know I'll see you one day when we all get to heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment