Quilt

Quilt
My latest quilt

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

READING GOD'S WORD

Over the years I have tried to read my Bible. For a long time I bounced around from one book to another, back and forth without much rhyme or reason. I think I read all of it at some time or another. In January 2002 I made a New Year's Resolution to read the Bible from cover to cover in a year. I would be turning 50 that November and I decided I had put this off too long. It turns out that I was finished in August. Since that time I have continued to read almost daily, but have not continued to finish the entire Bible each year. I started this past November an on-line Bible-In-A-Year plan. You can pick different versions of the Bible along with chosing beginning to end or a mix of Old Testament/New Testament/Proverbs daily. I decided on the mix and am staying current on my readings. I miss a day occassionally, but it reminds me that I've missed a day so I make it up usually the following day.
I am not a Bible scholar. I sometimes worry that I don't get enough from my readings. Today one of my e-mail devotionals brought this into perspective for me with the following:

An old man who lived in the mountains with his young grandson. Each morning, the grandfather would sit at the kitchen table and read from his worn-out Bible. Wanting to be just like his grandfather, the young boy would imitate him by reading his own Bible.

One day the grandson asked, "Grandfather, I try to read the Bible just like you, but I don't understand it. When I do understand it, I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Bible do?"

The grandfather replied, "Take this old wicker coal basket down to the river and bring back a basket of water."

The boy did as he was told, but the water leaked out of the basket before he could get back to the house. The grandfather sent him back three more times and told him to move faster each time. Every time, the frustrated boy returned with an empty basket.

Finally, out of breath, the young boy said to his grandfather, "See...it's useless!"

The old man said, "Look at the basket. Instead of a dirty old wicker coal basket, it's now clean. That's what happens when you read the Bible. You might not understand it or remember everything you read, but when you do, it will change you from the inside out."

I pray through continuing to faithfully read the Bible I will eventually retain and understand what God is telling me through His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment